|Developer||Joan Queralt Molina|
|Biogenesis is a free game. This means that the source code is available to be studied, modified, and distributed. Most projects look for help with testing, documentation, graphics, etc., as well.
Biogenesis is an artificial life simulator. It simulates organisms, their workings and their environment.
At the beggining, organisms are randomly generated according to the world's parameters(which define things like number of generated organisms, mutation rate and size of environment). More organisms may be added or removed depending on the players will while the simulation runs.
Organisms live, reproduce and die like in most life simulations. In Biogenesis, what determines the point at which one dies are these stats:
- Energy - It is drained as time passes, the more complex the organisms are, the more it is drained. Organisms may get it by photosynthesis or by consuming other organisms. Oxygen is required to use it.
- Age - This is increased as time passes. The value that kills one is determined by the world's life expectancy.
Organisms are built of different color segments which define their behavior and capabilities and allows a player to differentiate each other with greater ease:
- Green - Produces energy. Drains Carbon dioxide from environment releases oxygen.
- Red - Drains energy from other organism that enter in contact with this segment.
- Blue - Isn't affected by Red, Gray and White segments.
- Cyan - Allows locomotion.
- White - Infects an organism. When one organism enters in contact with this segment, it starts to reproduce the infecting organism instead of itself.
- Gray - Kills an organism instantly if it enters in contact with this segment.
- Yellow - Increases number of offspring for each reproduction.
Organisms may mutate when they reproduce, which means that the offspring will be different from the parent. If the mutation is advantageous, higher is the probability for the organism to survive and pass its genes to its offspring, guaranteeing evolution.
The software features a tool which allows the creation and edition of organisms, called the Genetic Laboratory.
Biogenesis is mainly written in Java and inspired by Primordial Life.