|Release date||October 15th, 2007|
|Snowballz is a free game. This means that the source code is available to be studied, modified, and distributed. Most projects look for help with testing, documentation, graphics, etc., as well.|
Snowballz is a RTS game written in Python, PyGlet and Rabbyt by Joey Marshall. The game is entirely licensed under the GNU General Public License. The latest version of the game is 0.9.5.1 released on October 15, 2007.
In Snowballz, players can directly control combat units, but not the workers. These warrior penguins throw snowballs, as suggested by the game's title Snowballz. When a penguin dies, it is frozen in an ice cube. When a penguin gets cold enough, it will try to save itself by running back to the base igloo. At a certain time later, it will emerge with full health.
Workers automatically gather resources and perform other tasks such as building structures that support your clan.
This is a list of all the releases in Snowballz's history.
- Version 0.0.2 announced on November 20, 2006 on pygame.org.
- Version 0.0.3 announced on December 19, 2006 on pygame.org.
- Version 0.0.4 announced on January 15, 2007 on pygame.org.
- Version 0.9 announced on May 5, 2007 on pygame.org
- Version 0.9.2 announced on May 28, 2007 on pygame.org
- Version 0.9.3 announced on June 12, 2007 on the homepage.
- Version 0.9.4 announced on July 10, 2007 on the homepage.
- Version 0.9.5 announced on October 08, 2007 on the homepage.
- Version 0.9.5.1 announced on October 15, 2007
On July 17, 2008, Joey said he stopped his active development of SnowballZ.
Snowballz 0.9.5.1 runs everywhere where Python 2.5 and Pygame do.
Debian lenny/sid and sid repositories include snowballz package version 0.9.5.1-2 (all platforms). It is maintained by the Debian Games Team and has been uploaded by Miriam Ruiz and Barry deFreese.
The game is also packaged by the Fedora Games SIG in RPM form for Fedora..
As of 17-12-2008 Snowballz had an average rating of 4 out of 5 stars based on 4 ratings on the Linux Game Tome.