A hybrid of board and card game
|Genre||Board games, Card game|
|Release date||June 9th, 2016|
|Developers||Rafal Zawadzki, Katia Zawadzka|
|Code license||Zlib License|
|Media license||CC-BY 4.0|
|Deer Portal is a free game. This means that the source code is available to be studied, modified, and distributed. Most projects look for help with testing, documentation, graphics, etc., as well.|
Deer Portal is a hybrid board/card game for four players driven by the four classical elements. The game takes place in an ancient world where the Almighty Deer God is protecting all the compassionate creatures.
A gameboard is split into four areas, each under control of one of the classical elements.
Water (blue) Earth (green) Fire (red) Air (yellow)
There are four players, each one being leaded / mentored by one of the classical element. They are able to:
- move around their board
- collect runes and diamonds
- meditate to get help of their patron
- reach the Deer Portal
Each player can be controlled by a human or a computer (it is possible to watch a duel of four computers, for example).
To be allowed to pass the transformation you need to gift the Almighty Deer. The Almighty Deer likes shiny things, so collecting diamonds is a way to please him. A player who owns the most diamonds on the Judgement Day - is a winner. The rest is being thrown into the flames of the infinitive, filled with collapsed realities folded in time void. Diamonds are being collected by moving the character onto the field containing a diamond, but also by grabbing a rune containing diamond action.
On the right of the board game, there are four piles of 32 cards dedicated to each of the classical elements. To collect a card, player must put his character on a field containing a corresponding element rune. Rules are following:
- When the player collects his own element - card is removed from the pile and next one unveiled.
- When the player collects the other element rune - a card is executed in the field of the element which card has been taken.
Types of the cards
- Stop - increases the pause period of the other element character.
- Collect diamond - steals diamond from the other element field
- Collect two diamonds - steals two diamonds from the other element field
- Collect rune - steals rune from the other element field
To meditate a player has to go back to his start point, and since it depends on the mood of the patron, this is only possible by throwing exact numbers on the dice. It results in regenerating all the runes and diamonds on his board.
In the middle of all the boards, there is the Deer Portal, with the Hooftlar (the Almighty Deer God altar) placed in the center. First player who reaches it and pays tribute to Almighty Deer, starts Deer Mode period which takes exactly four rounds (four turns for each player). After that everyone who didn't reach the portal - will be ceased.
Each player who is active (didn't reach Hoofltar yet, nor is being paused) has to perform two actions during his turn - throw a dice (by the click on the hand symbol in the right bottom area of the screen), and then decide where to go - by clicking on the corresponding area on his board. After moving the character, depends on the destination field:
- Nothing happen - if the field was empty
- Collects the diamond - if there was one
- Meditates - if the field was a starter place for the character
- Collects the rune and executes the card - if rune was on the field
- Dedicates himself to the Almighty Deer God - finishes the game
End of the game
There can be only one winner, a player having the highest number of the collected diamonds. If there is a draw, award goes for the player who reached portal first. Winner is being transformed into a Deer God. Rest of survivors are becoming his monks, the believers to spread the word. Ones who didn't survive, became a first heritage and a foundation of the new philosophy.