Fighting a larger bot with the help of one hacked earlier.
|Latest release||0.16.1 (Announcement)|
|Release date||April 2nd, 2016|
|Developer||FreedroidRPG dev team|
|Code license||GPL v2 or later|
|Media license||GPL v2 or later|
|P. language||C, Lua|
|FreedroidRPG is a free game. This means that the source code is available to be studied, modified, and distributed. Most projects look for help with testing, documentation, graphics, etc., as well.|
The gameplay is similar to other isometric games like FLARE where left clicking on a location will interact with it, either by movement, attacking, message, or dialog. Players can interact with a number of objects including fighting enemies, talking to NPCs, reading signs, opening chests, smashing barrels and boxes, and logging on to computer terminals. The game is progressed by completing a series of missions.
The player can acquire different items, weapons, armor and circuits from defeated enemies, chests, boxes and barrels. Valuable circuits is the currency in FreedroidRPG's post-apocalyptic world, they can be traded for other goods and services at different NPCs.
A tutorial is included in all of the newer releases.
Generally there are four ways of fighting enemies: melee, ranged, programs, or hacking. Melee attacks require melee weapons (or no weapons) and ranged attacks require ranged weapons and ammo. Program attacks require getting in-game Source books, learning them, loading them, then right clicking to "run" the program. Finally Hacking requires loading the hacking program and right clicking on an enemy to start a mini-game (like Paradroid which the original Freedroid classic duplicated).
In addition to the main game, and the hacking game, there are several sub-games for the player to experience. Including a parody nethack game, a concise thermonuclear war game, and several gambling games. These games are run though dialog so there are very few options for the player to take.
The game starts with a mysterious message from Dvorak, First AI, after which the player is awoken from cryogenic storage. She/he takes the form of a human sized penguin, an alien from another planet. FreedroidRPG takes place in a not too distant future where a huge population of bots, most of which produced and controlled by a single company, have risen against their former masters, killing a large part of humanity and taking over control of the galaxy. The small town where the player is awoken hopes that, with her/his help, they can hold out against the bots, and who knows, maybe even win against them.
The player must struggle not only to survive in a cruel world ravaged by the depredations of a robotic apocalypse, but fight back and free the survivors from the tyranny of a world awash in closed source software and determine his own fate.
- Dr. Francis Spark, the scientist in charge of the cryogenic facility (Cryogenics Solutions: "Take the fast trip to the future with Cryogenic Solutions!") where the player is found.
- Sorenson, a programmer who has gone crazy after writing one-too-many lines of proprietary COBOL code.
- Ewald, a bartender with a penchant for gambling and nothing to serve but cold water.
- Spencer, leader of the Red Guard.
And many others, including humans, robots, and everything in-between.
- Selfish human, Tux. It is friendly to everyone and hostile towards bots.
- Civilians, humans who just want to be left alone.
- Crazy, people that were pissed off by Tux. They are civilians that are hostile to Tux.
- The Red Guard, an organization that seems to protect the remnants of humanity, but at what cost?
- Rebels, those who would oppose the Red Guard's methods (not yet implemented as of 0.16.1).
- MegaSys, a corporation that seems to have succeeded in achieving world domination by ironically killing their stockholders... and everyone else.
- Singularity, an AI which hates everyone but Tux and bots.
- Neutral does not attack anyone, neither is it being attacked
- Test as well does not attack anyone, neither is it being attacked
After the release of 0.16, development began on a second act of the game.
- See FreedroidRPG release history for more information.
The following lists some past and present developers in no particular order:
- Andrew A. Gill - voicing
- Arthur Huillet - maintainer, programming
- Arvid Picciani - music
- Bastian Salmela - art
- Chris Hoeppner - sounds
- Doris Stubenrauch - voicing
- Jeff Fox - programming, story/characters
- Johannes Prix - art, level design, programming, story/characters, sounds, voicing
- Karol Swietlicki - story/characters
- Leslie Viljonen - programming
- Reinhard Prix - programming
- Simon Newton - level design, programming, story/characters
- Tiina Heinonen - voicing
- Zombie Ryushu - testing
- Stefan Huszics
- J.K. Wood
- Stefan Kangas
- Ari Mustonen
- Miles McCammon
- Alexander Solovets
And many others!
FreedroidRPG was selected as a mentor organization for the 2010 Google Summer of Code.
Translations were reintroduced at release 0.16, hosted on Transifex. Current available languages:
- Brazilian Portuguese