This new forum slowly evolved to FreeGameDev.net after Charlie registered the domain name FreeGameDev.net for it and became less active. On the other hand Ghoulsblade and Hagish started building projects around the forum, for example FreeArtSearch and Planet FreeGameDev.net.
Many of the forum's features were created by Goodwin:
- Project Open: Project Open is a sub forum created to facilitate the effort to open source proprietary freeware games.
- Forum hosting: There are subforums for some game projects. Current projects include Fortress, irrlamb, Java Classic Role Playing Game, Stress Free Zone, Me_Programmer, OpenDungeons Hardwar, EasyRPG, and Fortress are examples of hosted projects.
- Free Gamer Awards 2007: The awards were started to highlight the best games of the free gaming world.
The planet aggregate RSS feeds from free game development blogs. It went online on October 19th, 2007.
A wiki about free software game development. It is a joint effort between FreeGameDev.net and Unix Game Development.
This planet aggregate RSS feeds from free game wiki and projects. It was setup on February 25th, 2008.
Search FOSS arts across game projects. It was developed by ghoulsblade.
Common Media Project
Free game database
The idea originated from a thread that was discussing the possibility of the collaborating with the Tigsource Database. Eventually it was split off into its own thread.
- Freegamer post on the domain name accessed on August 28th, 2009
- Old Free Gamer forum (archived 2007-05-22)
- Post on the old forum about the data loss (lost)
- Forum post about FreeGameDev.net's development
- Free Gamer Awards 2007
- Forum thread on planet.freegamedev.net accessed on August 24th, 2009
- Forum thread on freegamedev.net WikiWatch accessed on August 24th, 2009
- forum thread on Common Media Project accessed on August 26th, 2009
- forum thread on Trigsource accessed on August 23th, 2009