In Game Screenshot
|Latest release||Development Version|
|Developer||Hacknique and contributors, main maintainer: James David Clarke.|
|Code license||AGPLv3 |
|Media license||CC BY-SA 4.0 |
|Library||Git Godot plugin|
|Novora is a free game. This means that the source code is available to be studied, modified, and distributed. Most projects look for help with testing, documentation, graphics, etc., as well.|
Novora is an upcoming sandbox open-world game that offers extensive modding capabilities. While still in development, it's poised to provide a fresh, dynamic experience in the voxel game landscape. Built using the Godot 4.1 engine, its performance, flexibility, and modularity set it apart.
- Extensive Modding Capability: Novora's core design focuses on allowing players and developers to extensively modify and extend the game.
- Multiple World Dimensions: Unlike other voxel games, Novora supports multiple world dimensions, opening up endless possibilities for gameplay.
- Peer-to-Peer Multiplayer and ContentDB: (Planned feature) Aiming to decentralize multiplayer sessions and content distribution.
- Performance: The game boasts improved performance over the likes of Minecraft, making it playable on older hardware.
Development and Contribution
Novora is a community-driven project. Whether you are a coder, an artist, a musician, or simply an enthusiast, your contributions can shape the game's future. The project emphasizes collaboration in the following areas:
- Code: Enhance game mechanics, implement new features, or optimize performance.
- Documentation: Write guides, tutorials, or improve existing documentation.
- Translations: Make the game accessible to a global audience.
- Artwork and Music: Lend your creative touch to the game's aesthetic and ambiance.
- Ideas: Join community discussions and share your innovative ideas.
Join the Novora community bridged across Matrix, Discord, and IRC. For those looking for a libre-friendly environment, dedicated rooms that bypass platforms like Discord are available.
Comparison to Other Voxel Games
While inspired by titles like Minetest and Minecraft, Novora sets itself apart with unique features and goals:
- Emphasis on extensive modding which exceeds the capabilities of its peers.
- Inherent support for multiple world dimensions.
- Planned features like Peer-to-Peer Multiplayer and ContentDB.
- A performance edge making it more accessible to users with older hardware.