|Released:||July 23rd, 2009|
Rubygame is a a game development library written by John Croisant for Ruby programmers and is licensed under the LGPL. The latest stable release is version 2.5.2 on May 16th, 2009.t sits on top of the SDL.
John Croisant wrote the library in response to his dislike of availible ruby libraries, RUDL and Ruby/SDL. He considered RUDL too messy and Ruby/SDL too low level. He had already tried to improve RUDL, but was repelled by the unorganized codebase so he decided to fork Ruby/SDL and add his own code. It became Rubygame. The SCM the rubygame project used to be subversion, then the project eventually moved to git.
Croisant stepped down in October 24th, 2008 as lead maintainer of the project and is looking for a maintainer to take over project development. In February 2009, He decided to only do maintenance on Rubygame.
- 2.1.0 was released on November 10th, 2007
- 2.2.0 was released on December 17th, 2007
- 2.3.0 was released on May 18th, 2008. It featured the new mixin module NamedResource, which managed the storage of resources such as sounds, musics, and games for later use. It also autoload these resources on demand. In addition, the Sound and Musics classes, which promise many improvements over the Mixer class, are replacing the now depreciated Mixer class.
- 2.4.0 was released on October 24th, 2008. It features a totally new event handler system along with some bugfixes.
- 2.4.1 was released on February 8th, 2009..
- 2.5.0 was released on April 27th, 2009. It features a new clock class.
- 2.5.1 was released on May 12th, 2009. It features minor bugfixes to the clock class.
- 2.5.2 was released on May 16th, 2009. It fixes how EventHandler handles exception
- 2.5.3 was released on July 23rd, 2009. Fix a few bug in Clock, events relating to mouse and joystick. It also listed a new dependency called install-time. Panda demo rendering bug is fixed. 
There was an unofficial developer forum dedicated to rubygame called Rubygame Forums. It also hosted the first two RubyWeekend contests, which took place on June 13th, 2008 and July 27th, 2008 respectively. However, due to the forum inactivity and the absence of the owner, Jacius decided to host his own Rubygame forum at the rubygame.org website.
The project was once hosted on seul.org.
- Rubygame's licensing information in Rubygame documentation
- historical account in a FAQ by John Croisant
- Post on status of Rubygame
- Blog post on changes in the Rubygame 2.3.0
- Rubygame 2.4.0 announcement accessed on October 25th, 2008.
- Rubyforge's download page for the rubygame project
- Announcement for rubygame-2.5.0
- Rubygame blog post on 2.5.1
- Blog post on rubygame 2.5.2
- Blog post on rubygame 2.5.3 accessed on July 24th, 2009
- Old Rubygame homepage at Seul.org