|Genre||RTS, Economic simulation|
|Latest release||2014.1 (Announcement)|
|Release date||December 31st, 2014|
|Media license||CC-BY-SA 3.0|
|P. language||C++, Python|
Unknown Horizons, formerly known as OpenAnno, is a real-time strategy game and economic simulation game loosely based on Sunflower's Anno series. The game's source code is licensed under the GPL while its own media is licensed under the CC-BY-SA license and some parts under other DFSG-compatible licenses.
The first public version of Unknown Horizons is version 2008.1 released on October 1st, 2008 when it was called OpenAnno.. This was the last release as OpenAnno before the name was changed to Unknown Horizons.
Planned key gameplay elements:
- Urban development
- Build a blooming metropolis from scratch with residential areas, industrial estates, service trade and lots of sights.
- Commodities managment
- Organize your resources to feed, extend and defend your growing city.
- Deal with other players to schedule conditions of trade agreements and non-aggression pacts.
- Exchange stock with other players, free traders and local settlements to ensure your stores keeping reserves for the bad times.
- Painfully trouble your enemies with strategic pinpricks and take advantage of all their little mistakes to solidify your position.
- Find new islands, trade routes and resource deposits to raise your city's wealth and extend your reach.
There is an extensive design document detailing everything from the menu to the individual units in the game. The project's existence can be traced to July 11th, 2005 when OpenAnno was registered on SourceForge.net.
A list of contributors is found at the project bugtracker.
Most of the graphics in Unknown Horizons are 3D model renders.
- UH's wiki main page reveals the project aim accessed on October 10th, 2008.
- Unknown Horizons license document.
- News post on 2008.1 release
- News post on name change
- Unknown Horizons project page on sourceforge.net accessed on October 9th, 2008
- Design Document on the Unknown Horizons wiki accessed on March 13th, 2009.
- News post
- linuxforen.de thread on OpenAnno accessed on October 10th, 2008
- blend.polis thread on OpenAnno accessed on October 10th, 2008.
- GameDev.de thread on OpenAnno accessed on October 10th, 2008
- Membership list for OpenAnno on sourceforge.net. accessed on July 08th, 2011.
- Membership list for Unknown Horizons on github.com. accessed on July 08th, 2011.
- Membership list for Unknown Horizons on ohloh.com. accessed on July 08th, 2011.
- Author list for Unknown Horizons accessed on July 08th, 2011.